[CSS21] More specific about alternatives to 'cue' sounds

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 13:05:44 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Currently, the CSS2.1 Last Call draft's Appendix A, states:

<q
cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-CSS21-20070719/aural.html#propdef-cue">
If a user agent cannot render an auditory icon (e.g., the user's
environment does not permit it), we recommend that it produce an
alternative cue.
</q>

This is insufficient from the point of view of those who benefit
from aural styling; this definition should contain even more
robust verbiage than is contained in Section 19 of CSS2:

<q
cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/css2/aural.html#cue-props">
If a user agent cannot render an auditory icon (e.g., the user's
environment does not permit it), we recommend that it produce an
alternative cue (e.g., popping up a warning, emitting a warning
sound, etc.)
</q>

The Protocols & Formats working group proposes that the extant text in
the CSS2.1 Candidate Recommendation draft be amended as follows:

<q source="PFWG"
cite="http://www.w3.org/2007/12/19-pf-minutes.html#item06">
If a user agent cannot render an auditory icon (e.g., the user's
environment does not permit it or the user does not have access
to a device with a sound card), we recommend that it produce an
alternative cue (e.g., emitting a warning sound using the
device's internal speaker or generating an accessible warning in
accordance with the users' pre-configured operating system
settings (for example, if "Show Sounds" or the equivalent is
enabled at the Operating System level, use the designated
alternative mechanism for that OS to provide an accessible warning).
</q>

Thank you.

Al
/chair, PFWG