Re: 'border-spacing', 'caption-side', 'border-collapse' inheritance

On Monday 17 December 2007 19:36, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> (actually, there appears to be some support for inheritance. Let me
> come up with a test file to be more specific)
>
> From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org] On
> Behalf Of Alex Mogilevsky Sent: Monday, December 17, 2007 10:30 AM
> To: www-style@w3.org
> Subject: 'border-spacing', 'caption-side', 'border-collapse'
> inheritance
>
> CSS 2.1 says 'border-spacing', 'caption-side', 'border-collapse'
> inherit [1]. No current implementation that we've checked do that
> though, nor does it seem to make sense. Should the property
> definition be changed to "inherited:no", or do we overlook some other
> text that prevents inheritance into nested tables?

Probably what makes the inheritance invisible is that the default style
sheet for HTML contains

    table { border-spacing: 2px; }

And, although it is not in the (non-normative) appendix D of the CSS 2.1
spec, some browsers' UA style sheets also have this rule:

    table { border-collapse: separate }

They would have been more useful as rules on html instead of table, but
I guess they better match what browsers did before CSS.

> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#borders

Bert