Re: [css3-mediaqueries] Request for feedback on syntax

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:42:49 +0100
To: "Alex Mogilevsky" <alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:30:55 +0100, Alex Mogilevsky
<alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I didn't follow the recent discussions on media queries closely so my
> opinion here may be random...
>
> I seems to me that although using an existing parser for new content is
> a good implementation move, adding syntax elements just because they
> work can add unnecessary complications long-term. Who knows where we
> else we would want to use that value?

As far as I can tell the "Web platform" will be using media queries on the
following locations outside of CSS itself:

  * HTML <style media>
  * HTML <link media>
  * HTML <a media>
  * HTML <area media>
  * HTML <source media> (HTML5 feature)
  * <?xml-stylesheet media?>
  * SVG <style media>
  * XBL <style media>

For Web browsers sharing the parser simply makes a lot of sense. It may be
slightly painful for tools, such as HTML validators, but those can
hopefully use libraries for this in due course.

(I forgot to mention again that all this also applies to Selectors. Which
are re-used in the Selectors API, XBL <binding element>, XBL <content
includes>, and HTML5 <rule condition>.)

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>