Re: Question about default colors

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:29:35 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Spartanicus wrote:

> In the IMO extremely unlikely situation that such a minor potential
> stylistic clash with a user stylesheet would be classed as a problem

Companies can be remarkably sensitive about violations of house style,
and, in particular, logos.  In the early days of Windows, people in the
company I worked for at the time started improvising the logo on their
PCs.  A message was sent from the marketing director that the logo must
only appear in the official colours - difficult with 16 or 256 colours!

> that would require a fix, that would be an issue for the developer and
> company to solve, not a CSS spec issue.

This will normally be resolved by removing the requirement to allow user
style sheets, which was probably never formally on the table, in the
first place.  What is really being attempted here is to preseve the
right to configure ones own browser, not the ability of the author to
create what they want.