Re: Question about default colors

David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:

>> In the IMO extremely unlikely situation that such a minor potential
>> stylistic clash with a user stylesheet would be classed as a problem
>
>Companies can be remarkably sensitive about violations of house style,
>and, in particular, logos.  In the early days of Windows, people in the
>company I worked for at the time started improvising the logo on their
>PCs.  A message was sent from the marketing director that the logo must
>only appear in the official colours - difficult with 16 or 256 colours!
>
>> that would require a fix, that would be an issue for the developer and
>> company to solve, not a CSS spec issue.
>
>This will normally be resolved by removing the requirement to allow user
>style sheets, which was probably never formally on the table, in the
>first place.

Facilitating user stylesheets is a task for /browser manufacturers/. A
potential desire to prevent users from altering author styling could
exist with web /authors/.

A browser manufacturer that wants to claim spec conformance at least has
to allow author stylesheets to be disabled (I don't recall if the
facility to create user stylesheets is a spec requirement).

Are you saying that web authors have been, and are successful in
pressuring browser manufacturers to remove a user's ability to disable
or override author styling?

>What is really being attempted here is to preseve the
>right to configure ones own browser, not the ability of the author to
>create what they want.

You can't argue that authors should be able to ensure that their style
isn't overridden and then claim that you are arguing this on behalf of a
user's right to do just that.

--
Spartanicus