Re: [css3-selectors] :parent selector

From: J. King <jking@dark-phantasy.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 01:14:40 +0000
To: "Mihai Sucan" <mihai.sucan@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 15:22:10 -0400, Mihai Sucan <mihai.sucan@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is such a big document heavily styled? Most likely not.

I'm no CSS implementor, but as far as I know how much author styling is
applied to a document is mostly irrelevant.  As was mentioned earlier by
someone else, selector matching is actually done by seeing which selectors
match a given element rather than which elements match a selector.
Furthermore as I recall from reading various mailing lists, CSS
implementations apply a value for each known property to each element as
they go, regardless of whether the property is set to a particular value
in an author stylesheet; that's why there are initial values listed in the
property definitions.  Figuring out whether a rule in an author stylesheet
is specific enough to be the used value is, I would imagine, probably
computationally trivial compared to actually applying all the relevant
innate styling of HTML elements.

--
J. King
http://jking.dark-phantasy.com/