Re: [css3-selectors] :parent selector

Le Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:08:58 +0300, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu> a
écrit:

> Mihai Sucan wrote:
>> A several mega bytes streamed document is something I have yet to use
>> over the web.
>
> I'm sorry, but this is the funniest thing I've read so far today.
> Granted, it's still morning.

Good morning then :).
No problem. I am still one of those learning around :D.

> Documents in the megabytes to tens of megabytes range are not all that
> rare. Documentation, mailing list archives, intranet stuff of various
> sorts.

I didn't imply they do not exist.

Is such a big document heavily styled? Most likely not.

As for tradeoffs, looking at:

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Writing_Efficient_CSS

I am always inclined to use child selectors or any type of selector that
matches the elements I want, as long as there's no noticeable slow down in
my web pages. I avoid using classes, sticking to IDs where appropriate, or
some other selector (e.g. input[type=text]). This is all because I want
the code as clean as possible.

Is CSS geared towards web interfaces or towards styling documents? AFAIK
the initial purpose of CSS was to replace the horrible table-based layouts
of pages, leaving just clean markup and a separate CSS for all design
stuff.

Web authors need more powerful methods of styling their layouts, via
selectors and properties. Parent selectors are among those.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future