Re: [CSS3 box] Proposal: content-align

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:17:26 +0100 (BST)
To: www-style@w3.org

> As a personal opinion from someone who uses CSS: My favorites are both
> the ideas of margin:auto and vertical-align:center for blocks. That's
> for one simple reason: Consistancy.

Margin: auto already does work, but requires absolute positioning of
the inner block.  I think the reason that one cannot do it for purely
in flow blocks is that block context is really a vertical inline mode.

If vertical-align: center works for table cells, I would presume, but
haven't tested it, that display: table-cell will do the necessary,
always assuming an adequate CSS implementation in the browser.