Re: [CSS3 Paged Media] Page collapsing

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:38:32 +0200
To: "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>, www-style@w3.org
Cc: w3c-css-wg@w3.org

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:39:06 +0200, Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
> The CSS Paged Media specification
> (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/CR-css3-page-20040225/) is currently unclear
> as to what should happen when multiple page-break-* properties
> accumulate.

You mean that it doesn't say what you want? :-)

> The spec is clear that a :left or :right pseudo-class can
> require that a blank page or surface is generated.
> For example:
>          The first div causes a page break; does the second div cause
> another page break, putting this content on page 3, or are the page
> breaks collapsed into a single page break so that this is printed on
> page 2?</div>

What if I had |div::before { content:'Test.' }| specified in some style
sheet? I assume that in that case they would not collapse? Also, what
happens for cases like:

If such collapsing rules are defined they need to be clear. For your first
example you wouldn't get an empty page for example if the the outermost

> Different implementations behave differently, as might be expected.  It
> seems that most implementations collapse pages.  Notably Opera's does
> not.  I propose that the spec be made explicit to require that
> page-break properties collapse such that no empty pages or surfaces are
> generated except for one when needed to get to the next right- or
> left-facing page.  Authors can use other means to create blank pages.
> This would make printed results more interoperable.

I'm fine with changing the specification as long as the collapsing
algorithm is clear.

Anne van Kesteren