Re: [css3-namespace] XML Core WG's review

From: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:25:00 +0100
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org

Ian Hickson wrote:

> Personally, I would recommend to the editors remove the sentence
> saying that the XMLNames11 terminology is being used, and instead
> define their own terminology (keeping the terms as compatible as
> possible, preferably identical, of course).

This last seems very odd to me, suggesting that the motivation
is political rather than a desire for clarity.  If the authors
are to use terminology identical to that of XMLNames11, then
why should they not be open about so doing ?  If you asked
them to add a note to the effect that "the use of this
terminology is in no way intended to restrict this document
to the application of CSS to XML", I would have no concerns
at all, but to ask them to use a terminology /identical/
to that of XMLNames11 whilst at the same time asking them
to delete the explicit reference to the source of said
terminology seems a little perverse ...

Philip Taylor