Re: [CSS21] Possible counters() limitation?

Hi,

From: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
>In my opinion that is not a limitation of counters. That is a limitation of
>selectors. Something like the first descendant of type should be
>selectable,
>and adding more pseudotypes is not the solution.

What's a pseudotype? If Selectors should be extended to allow selecting
first descendant of type, then a new pseudo-class probably has to be used.
For instance, something along the lines of:

   :root, :whichever-comes-first(h ~ section, h ~ * section) {
counter-reset:headers; }

The sectioning element can either be a sibling or a descendant of a sibling,
and you want the one that comes first.

Personally I think the selectors are getting too complicated. The above
solution seems a bit non-initiutive to me. It probably isn't fool-proof
either. It should be possible to just list the "sectioning" elements like
so:

   :root, section { counters-reset:headers; /* note the "counters" with an s
*/ }

...and be done with it.

Regards,
Simon Pieters