Re: [CSS21] Looking for feedback on max-width/min-width

From: Allan Sandfeld Jensen <kde@carewolf.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:55:16 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 19:46, Bert Bos wrote:
> You may have noticed a big red box in chapter 10[1]. That's because the
> CSS WG would like feedback on the interaction of 'max-width' with
> images.
>
> The spec was never was very clear on that question (not ambiguous, but
> difficult to understand) and we found that some people expected it to
> mean something else.
>
> So this is a request for feedback. Is the spec right? Or should it
> change?

I like it the way it is (if I have read it right). When you understand it, it
is rather logical. Just poorly explained in the standard.
But more importantly that is the way it is already implemented and working in
current browsers.

> The spec gives a typical example of the issue. Here is some more
> background, from a different perspective.

Well, I see no problem in supporting these uses using new properties in CSS 3,
but since we don't have the 'fit' or 'image-scaling' syntax yet, it would
rather leave it be for CSS 2.1

`Allan