Re: overflow:scroll and tables

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:00:14 -0800
To: <www-style@w3.org>, <leslie.brown@evidian.com>

----- Original Message -----
From: <leslie.brown@evidian.com>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 11:38 AM
Subject: Re. : overflow:scroll and tables

| > Does anybody know any technical or formal reason of why
| > following does not work in any (known to me) UA:

| > I mean no one UA shows scrollbars if table content overflows.
|
| Better yet (assuming the width is "known" to fit) might be:

| <thead>
| </thead>
| <tbody style="overflow:auto;">
| </tbody>
|
| ...with a little intelligent interpolation.

It could be multiple tbodies and it is not clear how to distribute
their height using current CSS features.

Again it would be possible if CSS will have flex units (%% or so)

tbody.first { height:30%%; }
tbody.second { height:70%%; }

So tbodies will take 30% and 70% from what is left after
<thead>  and <tfoot> fixed height replacement.

Another thing: scrollbar should be attached the whole
table - not just to tbody - logical constraints here.

I've tried initially to implement scrolling for tbody
only but for many (logical) reasons this does not work in current
table(thead,tbody,tfoot) model.

Andrew Fedoniouk.
http://terrainformatica.com