Re: overflow:scroll and tables

From: Adam Kuehn <akuehn@nc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:55:46 -0500
To: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, www-style@w3.org

Andrew Fedoniouk wrote:

>Does anybody know any technical or formal reason of why
>following does not work in any (known to me) UA:

One technical reason is that the overflow property does not apply to
tables.  It should be ignored in the scenario you outline.  Another
technical reason is that the 'auto' value of the overflow property is
explicitly UA-dependent.  See
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#overflow>.

However, the real reason appears to be that UAs (well, OK, Firefox -
I didn't take the time to conduct universal testing) ignore all
overflow values on any display: table* objects, even table cells, to
which the property is supposed to apply.  The overflow property works
as advertised if the display value is changed to block.

-Adam Kuehn