Re: column and form text-input pseudo-classes

From: C. Scott Ananian <cscott@cscott.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 16:22:25 -0400 (EDT)
To: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
cc: www-style@w3.org

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Laurens Holst wrote:

>>    but often items at the top/bottom of columns want to be rendered
>>    slightly differently than their companions.  For example, imagine a
>>    styled multicolumn list, where you might want to put rules between
>>    items, but not put a rule at the very top/bottom.  a selector for
>>    top/bottom of a column would be helpful, eg:

> See the "border-break" property in CSS3:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-css3-background-20050216/#the-border-break

This doesn't address the problem: border-break allows me to complete a
border of a surrounding element.  I want borders *between* elements,
*except* at the top/bottom of a column.

It seems that border-break would work *iff* there was a 'collapsing
borders' style for non-table elements, so that I could override the
borders of the contained elements (eg, <li>) with border-break: none.
  --scott

KUFIRE Yakima PBPRIME Mk 48 JMTRAX SARANAC counter-intelligence ammunition
Washington WASHTUB genetic Diplomat HOPEFUL Sabana Seca QKFLOWAGE
                          ( http://cscott.net/ )