Re: [BULK] - Re: [XHTML2] Spirit of "1.1.3. XHTML 2 and Presentation" (PR#7759)

Daniel Schierbeck wrote:

>> Indeed, "presentation" is the word I use in my software. Were we
>> starting afresh, that is a word I would prefer over "style".
>
> I think we are in some sense starting afresh - aren't we talking about
> having this element in the XML namespace? That's a major break from
> the XHTML <style/> element. I think we might as well use an
> appropriate element type name, since we break backwards compatability
> anyway.

I agree. XML is a fresh start alright. I don't think there is any
backwards compatibility to break with XML, which is its beauty and its
power. Every URL (within reason) is a fresh new namespace, to be defined
at will, so the appropriate element name for style or presentation or
whatever within one is entirely a matter for you and your application of
it. Anyone can safely use anyone else's namespace tags if they follow
the same rules, and any tags you don't recognise, you ignore..

I do my own little thing with XHTML+XML (namespace
http://www.libertini.net/libertus/outreach/) and know, for certain, that
no-one else's will clash, ever. Likewise, I don't expect anyone to adopt
my tags or their ruleset, but they can if they want to.

What do you mean by "the" XML namespace? I did propose injecting <style>
and <script> into it, but that is only part of my evil master-plan to
have XHTML declared "the" XML namespace, if not "of default" then at
least "of last resort". I'm sure you must mean something else, because
no-one likes my plan. :)
--
Paul Mitchell
www.paul-mitchell.me.uk