Re: [BULK] - Re: [XHTML2] Spirit of "1.1.3. XHTML 2 and Presentation" (PR#7759)

Bert Bos wrote:

>On Saturday 11 February 2006 21:50, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>

>>Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>So the current situation is still that there is no spec and you can't
>expect fragment identifiers to work, except in the special case of an
>XSL style sheet embedded in an XML document. Any other kind of style
>sheet embedded in any other kind of document is unlikely to work and
>may some day even be forbidden.

If the problem could be solved, it would have been solved by now.
Embedded stylesheets require datastream-oriented UAs to behave
irrationally, and makes coding difficult. If the webgov cannot stomach
prohibiting this hideous idea, at least strongly discourage it by
deprecation.

>I've updated the text[1] with an overview of the unsolved problems.
>
>[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/styling-XML#Embedded
>[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet

You cover the many issues well, but I have a style criticism.

There's not enough fire and brimstone for the non-techies. Don't be coy.
When you say "<strong>As of February 2006, there are still technical
problems with this and no formal specification exists</strong>", I'd
follow with a translation, which is something like "<h1><blink>IN OTHER
WORDS, THIS IS WRONG, HORRIBLY HORRIBLY WRONG! DO THIS AND YOU'LL GET
HELL! DON'T SAY YOU WEREN'T WARNED!</blink></h1>".

But that's just me. Good thing your page isn't a wiki. :)
--
Paul Mitchell
www.paul-mitchell.me.uk