RE: I18n comment: inheritance of :lang and |=

> The i18n core working group is satisfied with your
> resolution. Thank you.

This is incorrect.  The i18n WG did not declare it was satisfied on this point, but that I would propose some tweaks to the wording.

I think this explanation is still a little obscure for the average person, so I suggest adding an example.

How about this:

Original:
The difference between :lang(C) and the '|=' operator is that the '|=' operator only performs a comparison against a given attribute on the element, while the :lang(C) pseudo-class uses the UA's knowledge of the document's semantics to perform the comparison.

Proposal:
The difference between ... perform the comparison.  For example, in HTML :lang(ja) would apply styling to an element even if the language was only declared to be Japanese further up the document tree.  The '|=' operator would require the language attribute on the element itself.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)