Re: Web Fonts

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:54:45 +0200
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Cc: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach Daniel Glazman:

 > > Håkon Lie pointed out in his XTech presentation that according to
 > > research by an unnamed corporation, there are 500 free ($0) fonts on the
 > > Web. You don't need a DRM scheme with free-as-in-beer fonts. If the
 >
 > Håkon only forgot to mention that in that set, the fonts people use the
 > most are "free" copies of existing commercial fonts...

Some of them look similar, but that's not illegal.

 > Only geeks like us have heard about those free fonts. Make them famous
 > and widely distributed and the copyright owners will sue the copy
 > makers. The question is not "will they sue?", the question is "when?".

Copyright is certainly an issue wrt. fonts. The name of a font can be
copyrighted, as can any executable code inside (e.g.) truetype files.
However, the outline of glyphs isn't protected. You can -- in all
relevant jurisdictions, I believe -- print out hi-res renditions, scan
the printouts and generate new font files.

-h&kon