Re: Web Fonts

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:56:18 +1000
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
CC: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>, W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

Håkon Wium Lie wrote:
> Copyright is certainly an issue wrt. fonts. The name of a font can be
> copyrighted, However, the outline of glyphs isn't protected. You can
> -- in all relevant jurisdictions, I believe -- print out hi-res
> renditions, scan the printouts and generate new font files.

That seems backwards to me.  As far as I understand copyright issues,
you can't copyright a name of any sort, but you can trade mark it.
Considering that the glyphs are the actual artwork within the font, I
believe copyright would protect them, and so wouldn't copying them in
any way be a breach?

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/