Re: Proposed ::last-line and ::last-letter selectors

From: Alastair Campbell <ac@alastc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:45:06 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org

Andrés wrote:
> It doesn't matter how the text is wrapped, I'm using ::last-letter.

Apologies, I misunderstood, I was still thinking of the last line.

However, (with an accessibility hat on), shouldn't this be accessible
via the HTML? Wouldn't an animated gif (with a width set in EMs and
appropriate alt text) be better for this purpose?

(Ignoring the WAI guideline that says "don't use blinking/flashing
content" for the moment ;)

Assuming it was implemented, I can't imagine using it, as it would look
strange. If it did the same thing as the first-letter, applying
typographical effects would do things to the last letter, which doesn't
make much sense when reading.

Even assuming there were theoretical uses, I certainly wouldn't
prioritise this in the same league as getting things like CSS3's layout
ready and out the door, or providing a selector for text nodes:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006Jul/0062

-Alastair