Re: Proposed ::last-line and ::last-letter selectors

On 8/15/06, Andrés <adelfino@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand you. Nobody is forced to implement *all* selectors.
> Is this a "hey, I support all selectors, use my UA!" thing??
>
> Why is "why" so important? Designers should be able to do it, they'll
> always find uses. They are tools to be used by designers creativity.
> The key stone is: "I must have a way to do it", regarding if it is
> common or not.
>
> UA developers are not forced to support them.

If they don't support them, they can't claim full support for that
level. Also, the working group strongly suggests (correct me if I'm
wrong working group) that if you're going to support part of a level,
that you support all of a level so that designers will know what they
have at their disposal.

Also given the process that the W3C uses, there must be two
interoperable implementations of that property before it can become a
Recommendation. So the working group is not going to add properties to
the spec that don't have good uses. And if not for that then for
keeping the spec small and conserving their time for things that do
have good use cases. Ask around, it's not like they have a lot of free
time. Now I will defend your right to ask for changes that have good
use cases, but not just because you like symmetry.

--

Orion Adrian