Re: captions

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 09:34:11 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
> fantasai wrote:
>> We currently have a 'caption-side' property for manipulating table
>> captions. They can be moved above or below the table without affecting the
>> markup at all.
>> I think the same kind of control should be available for figure captions,
>> source code snippet captions, etc. We could turn them all into tables, but
>> that doesn't seem appropriate: tables carry a lot of other baggage besides
>> the ability to manipulate caption positions.
> Unless I'm missing something, that would also require a change to the
> markup language to actually define and associate a caption element to
> images, code snippets, etc.

a) HTML isn't the only markup language out there. DocBook, for example, has
    a <figure> element with a <title>. It's defined to be used with embedded
    images, code fragments, and other elements.

b) If my HTML documents needs captions with its figures, I will put them in
    somehow. I can write, for example,
     It's not perfect from a markup perspective, but from a CSS perspective
     it's no different from
     except as far as the selectors are concerned. And what I'm asking about
     here isn't the markup, it's the styling.