Re: captions

Patrick H. Lauke schreef:

>> We currently have a 'caption-side' property for manipulating table
>> captions.
>> They can be moved above or below the table without affecting the
>> markup at all.
>>
>> I think the same kind of control should be available for figure
>> captions, source
>> code snippet captions, etc. We could turn them all into tables, but
>> that doesn't
>> seem appropriate: tables carry a lot of other baggage besides the
>> ability to
>> manipulate caption positions.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, that would also require a change to the
> markup language to actually define and associate a caption element to
> images, code snippets, etc.

I think that can be done using RDF/A in XHTML 2.0… And there’s also the
title attribute, which can be used in generated content.

Anyways, I second this idea.

Tables have the huge disadvantage that if their content overflows, the
table will stretch along with it (at least in browser implementations, I
don’t know about the CSS tables) (which is exactly the reason why CSS
tables should not follow browser implementations of table, btw).

~Grauw