Re: [CSS3 Text] Aligning numbers in a table column

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:52:24 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
L. David Baron schreef:
> On Thursday 2006-04-13 14:57 -0400, fantasai wrote:
>> So I think if CSS3 Text specifies character alignment, it should allow
>> the character-aligned text to be shifted as a whole left, right, or center.
>
> A simpler alternative may be to align the character-aligned stuff as a
> whole the same as the alignment of the widest non-character-aligned cell
> in the column (breaking ties for widest with the first).  What to do in
> that case (where the alignment of the character-aligned text isn't
> specified) needs to be defined anyway, and it provides what may well be
> a sufficient solution for the problem you state.

Iíd say it rather needs to follow the alignment of the first cell that
the lining-up is applied to. This is both a much more simple
requirement, and supports incremental rendering.

Also, I do not think it is a good idea for the alignment to follow the
heading (thatís what Ďwidest non-character-alignedí cell will usually
be, no?). The last scenario that fantasai gave may seem undesirable at a
quick glance, but I do not think that is the case. It is not at all
uncommon for headings to be centered while the columns are left-aligned,
and I donít see why one particular head styling should affect the entire
table.

Also, think of left-aligned headings and right-aligned numbers, not
uncommon either. Basically, if the alignment follows the heading, then
to achieve a certain alignment of a column in the body, the columnís
header needs to be styled different, while one would rather have the
head styling be consistent. Letís not constrain the alignment so.

~Grauw