Re: [CSS3 Text] Aligning numbers in a table column

On Thursday 2006-04-13 14:57 -0400, fantasai wrote:
> So I think if CSS3 Text specifies character alignment, it should allow
> the character-aligned text to be shifted as a whole left, right, or center.

A simpler alternative may be to align the character-aligned stuff as a
whole the same as the alignment of the widest non-character-aligned cell
in the column (breaking ties for widest with the first).  What to do in
that case (where the alignment of the character-aligned text isn't
specified) needs to be defined anyway, and it provides what may well be
a sufficient solution for the problem you state.

(There's a similar problem for the 'top' and 'bottom' values of
'vertical-align', and I think the spec defines things a similar way.)

-David