Re: Simple template-based editing

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 20:52:02 +0000 (UTC)
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Bert Bos wrote:

> > IE invented contentEditable for doing something similar to what you
> > describe, btw. (contentEditable is being specified in the WHATWG
> > specs: http://whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#editing
> > ...so that it can be more interoperably implemented in other UAs.)
>
> The property/attribute may not have much stylistic semantics, but it
> doesn't have content semantics either. HTML isn't a template format, so
> template semantics should be kept separate from it.

Many people have conflicing opinions about what HTML is. :-)

> And, as I said, you can have templates for anything, not just for HTML.
> An attribute in HTML would solve only the HTML case.

If multiple languages are a concern, then a global attribute (as Daniel
suggested) would be one option. On the Web one mostly sees HTML at the
moment. (SVG also has an attribute for this, FWIW, though SVG is a
presentational language rather than a semantic language.)