Re: Browsers will never get it right [was Re:Blocked-base parsing?]

From: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:22:06 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

On 9/16/05, Patrick Lauke <P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk> wrote:

> > Orion Adrian
>
> > The fundamental problem as I see it is that HTML tries to generalize
> > everything. Instead of talking about contacts, I'm talking about
> > paragraphs. Instead of products, I'm talking about tables.
>
> Good luck in trying to come up with one single set of elements to mark
> up ALL real world content. Or are we moving on to the idea of integrating
> various namespaced languages/technologies into a document?

We are talking about moving into integrating namespaced content into a
single language. Again, why I rallied against namespaces as they're
bad when you constantly have to switch between them. This lack of
consistency is also why we've had such a hard time of making browsers
anything more than viewers into an applications platform. As a culture
we're still re-inventing the same thing over and over again, be it
contacts, bookmarks, purchase orders, etc. with every application; all
for lack of a dialogue.

It's time to stop reinventing with each version and start
standardizing so people don't have to.

--

Orion Adrian