Re: CSS 3 color module and deprecation of "system" colors

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 20:48:50 -0500
To: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:
>> OK.  Then please define "system default" as I requested.
>
> Operating system default colours.

Default colors of what?  Even on Windows, there are all sorts if "defaults".
For example, right now in Word I see at least two sets of "defaults" -- the
menus (black on gray) and the document I'm editing (black on white).  The same
happens in all sorts of other applications.

> nonetheless any OS would presumably have a certain set of standard
> colours such as basic foreground/background combinations for a document,

Note that CSS2 does not provide this.

> a highlighted piece of text

Highlighted in what way?  The appearance may depend on the purpose of the
highlighting, for example...

-Boris