Re: How to deal with presentation-is-the-content (was: Re: Five new proposals about CSS)

On 10/16/05, David Latapie <david@empyree.org> wrote:

> Le 16 oct. 05 à 18:08, Orion Adrian a écrit :
>
> > I think you have to remove all cases where styling is content from
> > your semantic categories. I could have an article about various
> > typefaces like Times New Roman, but that doesn't mean we should
> > reintroduce <font>. Any time you write about something about
> > presentation, that presentation shouldn't be marked up with a semantic
> > equivalent, but rather should be encoded in an image or a PDF;
> > something that will garuntee its survival once rendered.
>
> I think they should be a special treatment for presentation-is-
> content (PIC). I'm barely now anything about namespace but it seems
> to be the direction to go.
>
> Anyway, this also is another working group's issue
>
> > Also, when emphasis or strong are hit, they are spoken using pauses
> > and increases in volume.
>
> I wrote an article (in French) some years ago about how to know
> whether em or strong should be used.
> Bottom line is
>
> Imagine you are saying this to some people (like a teacher with
> students, for instance)
> - if you increase the volume                 =>emphasis
> - if you increase the volume *and* pause
> just after                                   => strong emphasis
>
> (<http://blog.empyree.org/?2003/10/11/52-emphase-ou-forte-emphase>)

Of course there are other ways, but usually involve someone who's
angry. My mother's favorite was to talk very softly, sternly and
slowly to strongly emphasize her point. There's also the use of the
middle name when calling the child (e.g. Henry Bartholemeu Jones!).
But increases in volume and pauses work pretty well for most things.

--

Orion Adrian