Separation of content and presentation

Building single-source documents with XHTML+CSS is a lot easier than with
HTML4.  The level of separation between content and presentation in
XHTML+CSS means that in many cases choosing an alternate style is sufficient
for adapting the document to a new format or new medium.

However, there is a limitation in this approach (which also applies equally
to XSL-FO).  The limitation is that some media call into being distinctions
that do not exist naturally in the source.  For example, in a print medium
we may wish to copy a key phrase out of the text and insert it as a
stand-alone enlarged call out in the middle of a page.

OK so we can do this with CSSn but it requires us to go back to the source
and introduce an element (distinction) into the source.  This new element
ONLY has meaning as it relates to a particular style and is effectively
there only as a target for the formatting CSS.  In addition this brings with
it a need for naming the new distinction (element).

This means that (in systems thinking terms) there is a positive feedback
loop between XHTML and CSS that muddies the waters.  XML (including XHTML)
content is not immune from the demands of presentation.

I am curious.  Does anyone know of work on examining ways of further
separating content from presentation?  In particular managing
presentation-specific (and often one-off) distinctions that reflects the
demands of the medium and not intrinsic in the content?

All the best,

David