Re: Printing a Book with CSS

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 10:31:10 -0800
To: "Laurens Holst" <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, <www-style@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laurens Holst" <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 9:49 AM
Subject: Re: Printing a Book with CSS

| Andrew Fedoniouk schreef:
| > html is:

| FWIW, Prince’s CSS method requires no additional markup and does the
| page numbering automatically… The CSS is also more compact.

As I mentioned that was straightforward example.

In any case TOC generation by itself *is a transformation*
of original document so changes are acceptable here (my guess).

If you want it without additional markup then
you can use something like this (rendering result will be
slightly different):

   border-bottom:1px dashed #000;
   content: target-page-number;

html is:

The idea here is simple.  %% units can cover many holes including
this one. Inventing special CSS attribute for each particular
case is just not a good design practice. Don't
forget that number of defined attributes in CSS is
increasing computational complexity of style resolution.

One more example of  %% units [1,2] - famous
side bar layout:
this is done solely by CSS. No tables, floats and additional
markup involved.

Andrew Fedoniouk.

[1] the flow attribute and %% units
[2] %% units per se