Re: [CSS21] Status of defult (intrinsic) style sheet in UA

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:02:10 -0800
To: "Simon Pieters" <zcorpan@hotmail.com>, <www-style@w3.org>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Pieters" <zcorpan@hotmail.com>

| Hi,
| >For example in the document above we have:
| >
| >ol ul, ul ol,
| >ul ul, ol ol    { margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0 }
| >
| >But if we define in the document something like:
| >ol { margin-top: 1pt; margin-bottom: 1pt }
| >
| >then it will override all instances of ol without
| >respect of specificity of styles in default table.
| The author style sheet has a higher weight than the UA stylesheet. See:
|   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascade

See, Simon, you did the same mistake as friend of mine who
inspired original question.

The document you mentioned tells different story:

"User agent: Conforming user agents must apply a default style sheet (or behave
as if they did) prior to all other style sheets for a document....."

There is no mentioning about the weight or so.

As far as I understand it: these two systems of styles are completely
independent so weights or specificity of their elements are isolated from
each other.

This is why I think it makes sense to mention it.
I am not good in formal wording so if anybody can build proper phrase about it
then it would be nice.

If we need this at all of course.

Andrew Fedoniouk.