Property "rotate"

From: Manuel Strehl <manuel.strehl@stud.uni-regensburg.de>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:24:33 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>

Hello.

Every time I used CSS for styling web pages I found myself wondering, why there isn't a property to rotate objects. For example, on the W3C recommendation pages is a picture with text running from bottom to top (fixed background of the body). Using a style property like rotation, one could simply define it as a rotated div.
My question is: Has a property like this ever been suggested, and if yes, what were the arguments against it? Because in my opinion such would allow to reduce the necessary amount of pictures by quite a bit (like two pictures being just one, if you'd like to display an ornament on top and vice versa on the bottom of your page).

Suggestion like:
div { rotate:-90deg; }

Manuel