Re: CSS selectors and xml:id

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 13:42:53 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, public-xml-core-wg@w3.org

On Sunday, May 8, 2005, 5:10:19 PM, Bjoern wrote:

(comments about tests snipped, will reply separately)

BH> * Chris Lilley wrote:
>>No, it wouldn't. So, please add specific language to CSS 2.1 to state
>>explicitly that xml:id is treated as ID for the purpose of the #
>>selector.

BH> Could you propose text that should be added?

If an implementation supports CSS 2.1 and also supports xml:id, then the
xml:id attribute must be treated as an ID for the purposes of CSS
selector processing.

BH> There seem to be lots of
BH> cross-technology and error handling issues here as xml:id does not
BH> define its integration into deployed architecture,

It seems pretty well defined to me, what are you referring to here?

BH> defining this for CSS such that xml:id processing is consistent
BH> everywhere seems a bit challenging.

Requiring all xml:id implementations that also do CSS to treat xml:id as
an ID does not seem like rocket science to me. It seems like a ten
minute fix.

BH> I guess you want similar statements regarding xml:lang
BH> aswell?

That would depend on what you mean for xml:id.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead