Re: [CSS21] font-family: inheritance and missing fonts

From: Christian Roth <roth@visualclick.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:52:54 +0100

L. David Baron wrote:

>I see no support for this idea in the spec.

I think I have found out where the different behaviour comes from: Opera
and Win-IE seem to implement CSS2 for 'font-family' only, whereas the
others implement CSS2 and CSS21. (I am aware that the reasoning is
radically different from my Interpretation 1, which I only guessed at
from the rendering results I was seeing).

See <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/fonts.html#algorithm>, step 8. It allows
using "the inherited or UA-dependent 'font-family' value". This is no
longer allowed in CSS21.

I unfortunately missed this vital difference between CSS2 and CSS21. It's
also not mentioned in current CSS21's Appendix C, Changes, as far as I
can see.

Regards, Christian.