Re: Image-dislay status media query for reducing reflows -was Re: FAQ about reasons behind CSS

From: Ryan Cannon <ryan@ryancannon.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:20:01 -0400
To: WWW-Style List <www-style@w3.org>

I'm not sure creating extra properties to avoid re-flows is a good
use of time. Reflows are here to stay. While images may be a major
culprit, they're not the biggest. Scripting and IFRAME/OBJECTs are.
In most of the pages I visit, Google AdSense and the "Shoot the
monkey" flash ads are the largest reflow culprits. Also, the
proliferation of AJAX will cause a lot more reflows in page display,
as different parts of documents will be loaded dynamically after the
page has already been drawn. I think this is one issue where the
market has spoken: users have begun to expect and deal with reflowing
pages, and creating more CSS bloat will not solve it.

--
Ryan Cannon
Instructional Technology