Re: [CSS21] Please endorse xml:id

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:53:53 +0200
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>, Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>, www-style@w3.org

Chris Lilley wrote:
>>> In what way would it prevent exiting CR?
>>
>> Because it would require support for xml:id
>
> 'should' is not the same as 'must'

Only when you have compelling reasons.

>> and UAs might not have implemented that while having
> implemented CSS 2.1.
>
> Which would prevent what, exactly? Are you really saying that (for
> xml, remember, not for html or for xhtml 1.0/1.1) there are UAs that
> implement 100% of CSS 2.1 and yet do not, or could not, implement
> xml:id?

Most UAs that exist today — Mozilla, Opera, Safari — are XML UAs with
some knowledge of the XHTML namespace plus a tag soup parser. None of
these three have support for xml:id at the moment. I know there were
plans for Opera 8, but it didn't make it. For Mozilla there are also
some unresolved issues that prevent developers from implementing it.

Also, although there is a relation between xml:id and CSS that shouldn't
really result in a "UA that implement CSS and XML should implement
xml:id." Better would be to require XML UAs to implement xml:id and
adopt xml:id inside the official XML recommendation.

--
  Anne van Kesteren
  <http://annevankesteren.nl/>