Re: We are where we are.... but how did we get here?

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 23:28:10 +0300, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
wrote:

> On Wednesday 2005-06-29 23:24 +0300, Emrah BASKAYA wrote:

> There are much simpler solutions for the problem of column styling than
> a second pass of selector matching.  For example, we could have column
> selectors that select based on the table semantics of the underlying
> content (rather than how that content happens to be displayed).
>
> -David

Well the article say is it all, it is impossible, with the current CSS
methods, as somehow, getComputedStyle manages to be in the heart of the
problem, because CSS2.1 tells us so. So it must not be possible for a
browser to tell how it colored a cell, because if it does, this is against
CSS2.1 rules. It shouldn't know how it colored an element to conform 2.1 .
Which is much better than actually being able to color the 'thing'.

If noone can come up with such a simple solution, we should have flexible
solutions. That or we'll have coloumn coloring in layout in CSS4.

--
Emrah BASKAYA
www.hesido.com