Re: We are where we are.... but how did we get here?

You mean something along the lines of

table:column(2) td { text-align:center }

This sounds like an interesting idea, but it completely removes the
necessity of display: table-column (which isn't necessarily a bad
thing).

I think the problem here is the somewhat partially thought-out tables
module. It only partially captures the HTML table model (leaving off
techniques of spanning, both for the table-cell elements and table-
column), which was never complete in the first place. The current
model is only a horizontal model, where true tables should be
horizontal or vertical, and allow for both simultaneously.

The method of moving forward then becomes either 1.) create
convoluted table module rules that allow for the existing HTML table
mechanics but break the CSS processing model, or 2.) create re-write
the table module independent of the HTML legacy, allowing a
semantically correct but structurally different markup.

I think the second method preferable, but I'm not sure the industry
nor the working group is very interested in either solution right
now. The problem is describing a two-dimensional content in a one-
dimensional structure. Unfortunately, I think this problem is only
going to get worse in the future, as three-dimensional technology
becomes more popular (and more demanded by designers).

--
Ryan Cannon
Instructional Technology