Re: [CSS21] Please endorse xml:id

From: J. King <mtknight@dark-phantasy.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 09:41:04 -0400
To: "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 01:22:51 -0400, Andrew Fedoniouk
<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:

> CSS also asumes that this DOM represents "endless tape" coming
> incrementally.
> Consequence: famous vertical alignment.

I hadn't considered that one.

> CSS asumes that this DOM is always placed in some view having known
> dimensions and capable to set flags :hover
> :active :focus :link , etc. to its elements.

Can you demonstrate a case where one would want to (or, for that matter
could) render content onto a canvas of -unknown- dimensions?

Interactive pseudo-classes aren't limited to HTML or XML, especially since
they aren't even reflective of the document tree.  I suppose :link -was-
specified with HTML in mind, but UAs for document types that don't have
links can still be interoperable in every other respect---and
interoperable with each other in every way.

I think you're just splitting hairs here, Andrew.  The conformance
requirements do state that lack of a feature in a UA due to technical
limitations of a platform does not make it non-conformant.  Granted, they
don't say anything about limitations of the document type, but that seems
the implication.  Perhaps they should state this explicitly, though?

J. King