Re: Initial Value

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 20:08:01 -0500
To: Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Felix Miata wrote:
> The way I read the language in the specs, using the font property is
> supposed to reset all properties to their initial values

Yes.

> and then apply any values explicit among the parameters supplied to font.

Yes.

> To my understanding, this use of "initial values" means discarding all
> inheritance derived from author or user styles

No, it means specifying whatever is listed in the "initial value" field for the
relevant property, as http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#x1 (which you
referenced) says.

In other words, specifying

   font: 70%/1 familyname;

is exactly equivalent to:

   font-style: normal;
   font-variant: normal;
   font-weight: normal;
   font-size: medium;
   line-height: normal;
   font-family: initial; // should set the default user-agent family, basically
   font-size: 70%;
   line-height: 1;
   font-family: familyname;

Note that this is all happening while the _specified_ value is being determined.
  There is no inheritance involved yet; the resulting specified value of
"font-size" is 70%.  This leads to a computed value of "11.2px" in your case,
since the computed value of font-size is an absolute length.

 > What is it I'm missing regarding the definition of initial value?

Presumably the part that says:

   The initial value of each property is indicated in the property's definition.

That would be the second sentence of http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#x1

 > What does this "reset" actually accomplish?

Consider a user stylesheet that has:

   p { font-weight: bold; }

and an author stylesheet that has:

   p { font: 12px/1 Times; }

The "reset" accomplishes the specified value of "font-weight" for <p> being
"normal".

-Boris