Re: Initial Value

From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@ij.net>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 22:51:20 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> Felix Miata wrote:

> > To my understanding, this use of "initial values" means discarding all
> > inheritance derived from author or user styles

> No, it means specifying whatever is listed in the "initial value" field for the
> relevant property, as http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#x1 (which you
> referenced) says.

OK, so still from
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/fonts.html#propdef-font-size the result of
the reset to initial value is font-size: medium.

> In other words, specifying

>    font: 70%/1 familyname;

> is exactly equivalent to:
>
>    font-style: normal;
>    font-variant: normal;
>    font-weight: normal;
>    font-size: medium;
>    line-height: normal;
>    font-family: initial; // should set the default user-agent family, basically
>    font-size: 70%;
>    line-height: 1;
>    font-family: familyname;

> Note that this is all happening while the _specified_ value is being determined.
>   There is no inheritance involved yet; the resulting specified value of
> "font-size" is 70%.  This leads to a computed value of "11.2px" in your case,
> since the computed value of font-size is an absolute length.

70% (specified via font) of 20px (per the testcase, the actual UA
default setting reset by font to medium) is 14px, not 11.2px (which
might be either 70% of 80% of actual 20px UA default setting, the result
were font-size substituted for font to specify 70% for p.two in the
testcase; or 70% of 16px normal/expected/common/typical UA default). How
exactly did we reach 11.2px for p.two in the
http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/tmp/initial-value.html testcase?
--
"Through Him all things were made; without Him nothing was made
that has been made."                                John 1:3 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/