Re: [css3-values] attr() function

From: Anne van Kesteren <fora@annevankesteren.nl>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:42:56 +0200
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Quoting David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>:
>> <color> might be a problem though as colors are often specified as '000000'
>> which is not valid and should be rejected per CSS 2.1. It might be a
>> good thing
>
> I'm not sure why such bad practices should be encouraged.  If the colour
> is being mis-specified, the author is unlikely to be providing a valid
> style sheet.  Even if the correct syntax is used, it only encourages
> presentational HTML.

My mistake, I thought '000000' was actually a valid color production in
terms of
HTML 4. It appears that the hash mark is required although it is not really
normatively said in any way.

Then I guess it should be part of the (tag soup) parser to treat '000000' as a
color production so the UA style sheet could use
`[color]{color:attr(color,color)}`.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>