Re: [CSS21] Features at risk: quote in CSS or Q in HTML

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:00:15 +0200
To: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Cc: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>, www-style@w3.org

Al Gilman schreef:
> In a stylesheet we are not dependent on having a 'quotes' property
> because the desired effect can be produced with :before and :after
> generated text referencing specific Unicode code points as
> appropriate.

Although it must be noted that this is much more verbose than using the
‘quotes’ property. Specifying a comprehensive list of quotes for
different languages would take only a single line per language with
‘quotes’, and an order of ten times more without.

So the lack of ‘quotes’ will probably result in user agents having a
default style inserting “ and ” or even " (not language-dependant), and
websites in languages that do not use those quotes specifying different
quotes in their CSS, possibly based on a :lang() selector.

~Grauw