Re: Backwards and Forwards Compatability

From: Laurens Holst <lholst@students.cs.uu.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:32:45 +0200
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Orion Adrian wrote:

>After thinking about this, I've determined that it's forwards
>compatibility is nice, but difficult to achieve if you're not very
>careful.
>
>So I thought about the guidelines for this and I present them here.
>
>1) No new property should require non-normal values of old properties
>to work (e.g. display: absolute and margin).

That is already the case, at least in the example you provide. The top:,
left:, bottom: and right: properties are meant to be used in conjunction
with absolute positioning. That is precisely why I asked why Kris did
use margin instead. He was unnecessarily mixing two posioning methods.
Of course, when margin is used to create spacing *within* absolutely
positioned areas, as I believe Kris did in a later example, it is
relatively safe and correct.

~Grauw