Re: Fwd: several messages from Orion Adrian

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:44:09 -0500
To: Orion Adrian <orion.adrian@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Orion Adrian wrote:
> You say you just remove them, but user agents cannot stop using them can they?

In light of you using HTML as an example of desirable versioning earlier in this
thread, this is interesting. For example, HTML 4.x no longer has a <plaintext>
tag, but user agents cannot stop supporting it, because it's actually used...
So this is a problem whether or not you have a document level version indicator
(the doctype in HTML).

Not only that, but other HTML 2.0 tags have indeed been removed, and content
that uses them (and the HTML 2.0 doctype) no longer works "right" in modern
browsers.  That's not what you want out of versioning, from what I gather.

-Boris