[CSS21] Fixed Table Layout - Columns

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:32:38 +1000
To: W3C Style List <www-style@w3.org>

Hi,
   I'm in the process of designing and writing test cases for the fixed
table layout algorithm [1] and I have found a possible issue.  The spec
states:

| If a subsequent row has more columns than the first, then additional
| columns must not be rendered. When using 'table-layout: fixed',
| authors should not omit columns from the first row.

That indicates that the total number of columns in the table is
determined from the number of columns spanned by the cells in the first
row.  However, what if there are more 'table-column' elements than the
first row?  Should a UA still determine the number of columns from the
first row or can that be determined from the number of table-columns?

For example:
   <col>
   <col>
   <col>
   <col> <!-- 4 columns -->

with this style:
table { table-layout: fixed; width: 100%; }

I tested Firefox 1.0.4, IE6 and Opera 8 and each of them leave space for
the 4th cell.

Can the spec be clarified to either explicity allow or disallow this
behaviour?

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#fixed-table-layout

--
Lachlan Hunt