Re: New layout language.

On 7/7/05, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

> Laurens Holst:
> > I think I can summarize your proposal as follows: you are basically
> > talking about the re-introduction of the frameset. Albeit with a
> > different syntax.
>
> That's what I was thinking, too. <http://www.w3.org/TR/xframes/> anyone?

While XFrames is a useful spec it doesn't solve the problems I
presented. It also is a very simplistic layout system that doesn't
allow for dynamic growth in different proportions while maintaining
appropriate padding (as least none of the examples present this.
Though I suppose you could use CSS to perform the actual layout
mechanism, but then doesn't that bring us back to the same problem.
Margin isn't safe.

But, XFrames could be turned into what I think is needed. You'ld have
to get rid of the source attribute and replace it with role.

But regardless, even if XFrames was implemented by anybody which would
require it get out of working draft, it still wouldn't prevent people
from doing layout in CSS which is where the problem is. It's a problem
at a minimum for users and user agents trying to control content
coming to them. Unless of course we expect users to make custom style
sheets for every site they go to.

--

Orion Adrian