Re: Proposal: :column pseudo-class

On 7/7/05, Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@tu-clausthal.de> wrote:

> Orion Adrian:
> > Hence my suggestion that layout be separated from other types of
> > properties. Layout should be done first for many reasons.
>
> Maybe, but box widths and heights may (and should) depend on content
> size, which is dependent on other values as simple as 'font-weight' or
> 'font-size'. Colors are layout-safe, but not much else.
>
> Or do I misunderstand you?

Once decoupled, margins, padding, borders, backgrounds, text
effects/variants/transforms will all be formatting side and safe for
modification.

One decoupled positions and sizes will be safe from formatting changes.

Decoupling gets you a lot of stuff, not the least of which is the
ability to modify layout and formatting on the client side in generic
ways without blowing up the page on the other end. No training
necessary.

Orion Adrian

--

Orion Adrian